Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spiritual Revitalization

So basically all of these posts have been about weight loss, dieting, and exercise - which I must say I am bombing at. I am just off the wagon for sure.

So I decided why not try to increase something in other areas of my life. I have taken on a challenge. Read the entire Book of Mormon during the month of June. My friend, Tara, posted that she was doing this, and I thought - Heck! I can do that! And I need to do it too. I have not been doing so well spiritually and it is showing. My poor 3 year old doesn't even know about personal prayers, family home evening, etc. and I know it is my fault because I am not on a spiritual "playing field." I have been relying only on myself and my husband to make things "right."

Yesterday I started the challenge and was intrigued by one scripture. 1 Nephi 2:16. "wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers." As I was reading about Lehi taking his family into the wilderness - I couldn't help but think that if it were me and my dad was making me leave all my friends and comforts, I would be a GIANT whiner. I would not be happy about it. And I guess I always thought that Nephi was so excited to go and so obedient from the get-go, but this makes me second guess that. I am sure he wasn't too thrilled about the idea, but instead of complain, he "cried unto the Lord" to soften his heart and help him understand. I know I need to do a lot of that. I need to not be so ill-minded about what the prophets and the scriptures tell me to do and just cry unto my Father in Heaven and ask him to soften my heart.

So there it is. I need to pray to be more excited about the things I should be obedient with. Hopefully I will find another gem of a scripture today as I read.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog and I hope you don't mind! I need to join you in this spiritual challenge. I am so bad at reading my scriptures and I don't really have an excuse. That IS a gem that you found. I am such a whiner, but thanks for the post, I am going to be better with you!

    ReplyDelete